Kenwood has been around a long time.This is an historic audio company with a great reputation in this industry.They’ve been around since 1946.They’re pretty popular on today’s market and represent one of the handful authoritative brands.
They specialise in car entertainment and audio equipments,selling car speakers,car subwoofers,car amplifiers and headunits.Today, we’re reviewing three of the most popular Kenwoord car amplifiers.
The car amplifiers are a bit of a mixed bag.In this industry you really do get what you pay for.High-end amps like those from Kenwood are manufactured with high standards of quality in design, material and workmanship, and they are engineered specifically to provide high quality sound and performance.However such amps cost an arm and a leg , but they are definitely an investment that will last for many years to come.
It’s very easy to spot that Kenwood puts a lot of efforts into creating a good car amp .Their amps are reliable, and they make a good investment in the long term.However,the price tag is and always has been fairly high.Floating around $100-$200,we do know that it’s a significant investment for many of you.So,the question we want to answer is : for the serious audio enthusiast who has access to dozens of other amplifiers from just as many brands , are Kenwood amps worth the price ? Let’s find out.
First Things First: Channels…
Amps manufactured by Kenwood come with various number of channels.The two types of channels these amps feature are :
- Car Amplifiers with Four or More Channels : This type of amplifiers are features-rich,flexible and easy to manage. They give the user a wide variety of options and you can configure them in a variety of ways.Most car amplifiers with four or more channels are Class A/B.These amps are highly recommended if you need to handle a wide combination of speakers and subwoofers.
- Two-channel Car Amplifiers : Amplifiers that fall into this category , are best suited to power systems that require the ability to power two subwoofers, two component speakers , or two coaxial speakers. Some of these amps can also be bridged to power a single subwoofer.This operation(Bridging) consists of combining two channels into a single one,which will result in doubled power delivered to a subwoofer.
P.S = Not all 2-channel amps can be bridged.
- Mono-channels Car Amplifiers : This type of amplifiers has a single channel.They specialise in producing low-frequency sounds , and they’re mainly designed to power subwoofers.If you’re looking for a car audio system that can produce more bass , then you should consider combining a mono-channel amplifier with a subwoofer.
In case you don’t understand what all this means , check this guide on how to choose the best car amplifier.
Kenwood Car Amplfiers : Multi-Channel Amplifier
Obviously, these are some pretty expensive amps.With Kenwood,you can select either eXcelon,Kac or Sports series.So, lot of what you’re paying for here is the RMS power output.And it comes to a simple equation , the higher RMS, the higher price tag.There are some other features that can make the price fairly steep.Some of these features may include , amplifier class, filters, inputs …
When you use a Kenwood multiple amplifier,you’ll notice a significant improvement in terms of sound quality and volume.Even if you get an amp with the most lowest RMS rating , you can still expect a decent increase in performance.We usually like muliple channel amps with high RMS, since we find them more flexible,and more powerful to drive the entire system. Bear in mind that a multiple channel amp isn’t the perfect type to power a subwoofer. If you want to add a subwoofer to your audio system, a mono-channel amp is your best bet.
Kenwood Car Amplfiers : 2-Channel Amplifier
Kenwood offers a range of 2-Channel amps.The majority of these amps are of class A/B.And they include high-pass filters that helps in limiting sound distortion by ensuring that tweeters do not reproduce mid or low-frequency sounds.Several such amps include bass boost circuitry as well.
We usually prefer a multiple channel amp over a 2-channel amp.If you’re about to purchase a car amplifier, and your car wasn’t already equipped with an amp , we highly recommend going for mutiple channel instead of a 2-channel amp.Don’t get us wrong.Kenwood makes some great 2-channel amps, but some of them are just barely outside of their price range.And that doesn’t make sense to us.I mean, what’s the difference between $80 and $100 really? That’s more or less the same price. So often, it isn’t a question of whether or not Kenwood car amplifier are good; it’s more a question of why you would choose a Kenwood amp with 2-channel if you could spend $20 more and get something with more features , flexibility and power. However, that doesn’t mean that 2-channel amps are worthless , there are many situations in which 2-channel amp is way better than a multiple channel amp.
Kenwood Car Amplfiers : Mono-Channel Amplifier
Kenwood’s mono-channel amps will cost you a pretty penny!.These amps are the most powerful among all the other types,which makes them best suited for powering subwoofers.The vast majority, if not all kenwood’s mono-channel amps are Class D. Though class D amps tend to distort at high frequencies , This is not usually the case when used to power a subwoofer.
Some of these amplifiers come with various features including but not limited to the following:
- Speaker-level inputs with signal sensing turn-on .
- Adjustable Bass Boost .
- Variable low-pass filter.
- High quality speaker level inputs.
- Preamp-level inputs and outputs.