As you may know already, the role of a car amplifier is to increase electrical signals sent by your car’s audio unit to deliver more power to the car’s speakers. Not just does the amplifier create more power, but it also amplifies the sound quality and enables you to connect a bigger number of speakers. Many cars today are factory-equipped with a strong amplifier for average equipment speakers.
However, installing a new 6-channel car amplifier is normally done if you wish to upgrade your car speakers in the factory. Today’s review will narrow down the best 6-channel amplifier you can get for your car.
Our Best 6 Channel Amp Reviews
Many cars these days are equipped with amplifiers incorporated into their audio unit. Nonetheless, the addition of an amplifier refers to the addition of a standalone external amplifier. It should be compatible along with the audio system present on your vehicle and should consider the number of channels as well as the preferred power.
Do you like a fantastic sound? Then it will help if you choose a bass amplifier along with a good bass channel. Knowing from the start what you like will help you pick the best 6-channel car amp for you that will give you the desired sound.
Below is our list of the best 6-channel amps.
Best 6 Channel Amp Overall: AudioControl D-6.1200
The AudioControl D-6.1200 is truly the most versatile 6-channel car amp in the market today, building from the highly successful LC-4.800. Even though it doesn’t have a huge amount of ratings on Amazon, we can say that a lot of its users are satisfied with its power and function.
Featuring 8 active speaker level inputs with totaling, combined with a spontaneous 3-way Linkwitz-Riley crossover network, this car camp can be effortlessly integrated along with most factory-installed source units. On top of that, the original AccuBASS circuit compensates for the factory bass roll-off and offers a maximum bass performance.
More features and controls include the company’s MILC Source Clip Detection, GTO Signal Sense, and assignable Remote Level Control. There’s no doubt that the AudioControl D-6.1200 builds on the legacy of audio passion and a focus on user-friendly features. That makes it the ideal solution for a car amplifier.
- Summable active speaker-level inputs for OEM integration
- Features two assignable preamp outputs
- Solid 1-piece aluminum chassis
- Expensive—the costliest amplifiers on this list
No products found.
Best 6 Channel Amp for the Money: Kenwood Excelon P-XR600-6DSP
Anyone who has ever tried to upgrade a factory audio system with real power understands the challenges involved. The Kenwood Excelon P-XR600-6DSP is created specifically for OEM integrations and will work when paired along with an iDatalink Maestro AF module. When paired together, the amp and module can offer a true stereo signal from the current OEM system and convert all the CAN-Bus communication from the radio to the amp.
This car amp is a 6-channel, class-D amp and is part of the top performing eXcelon series. Also, it has a small footprint, so finding a place for it should be relatively simple. Connections are all made on one edge of the amp, and the terminals are fully enclosed and isolated. Once the connections are made, a good trip cap covers all screw access holes for a clean, smooth look.
Even though Kenwood Excelon P-XR600-6DSP isn’t a popular option, a few users are very satisfied with its performance.
- It has a 32-bit digital signal processes
- You can tune through the app on a smartphone or tablet
- iDataLink Maestro AR Module works with amps from Audison, Kenwood, and Arc Audio
- You need to buy the iDataLink Maestro AR Module separately, and that’s quite expensive
- Many new cars equipped with premium amplified systems are nearly impossible to replace and very difficult to upgrade the audio performance. The XR600-6DSP when combined with an iDatalink Maestro AR can use a true stereo signal from the existing OEM stereo and translate all the CAN-Bus communication of the original radio to the XR600-6DSP. Integrates with many Chrysler, Dodge, Fiat, Ford, Jeep, Lexus, Maserati, Ram, Subaru and Toyota premium systems, with more vehicles to follow.
- Use the KENWOOD DSP Control App (compatible with iPhone and Android) to setup the XR600-6DSP. The listening position, advanced equalization and filtering can be set during installation and the setting stored in memory. A simplified mode is available for day to day use.
- The 32-Bit 192kHz DSP gives the flexibility of independent tuning and equalization that is required with the variance of speakers and location challenges being used in a typical system. The channel flexibility allows any function or tuning on all 10 channels making it one of the most versatile solution based amplifiers on the market today.
- These HEX-type terminals can accommodate up to AWG 8 - AWG 12 speaker wire thickness for better signal delivery to speakers. The HEX type design allows for maximum tightening and contact onto the wire.
- These HEX-type terminals can accommodate up to AWG 4 - AWG 6 battery and ground wire thickness for better voltage maintenance from the vehicle's battery. The HEX type design allows for maximum tightening and contact onto the wire.
Best Cheap 6 Channel Amp: Clarion EQS755
On the other hand, Clarion EQS755 is surely the cheapest 6-channel car amp on our list. Even though it’s solely not designed as an amplifier, it’s a high-quality equalizer that excels at offering people great control over the sound quality of stereos.
The model itself will enable you to optimize the audio delivery from your user through the help of seven bands. Hence, you are guaranteed fine-tuned sounds. What’s more, it enables its users to change the sound frequencies between 50 hertz and 16 kilohertz. How amazing is that?
It’s worth mentioning as well that this model is extremely versatile. You can connect the EQ to nearly most audio systems thanks to its RCA inputs and high-level speaker. No matter if your system is new or an old one, this EQ will increase the sonic performance substantially. It is also powered at eight volts, which guarantees the amplifiers get a clean and powerful signal for maximum performance.
- Easy and hassle-free installation
- It offers a crisp and clear sound
- 8-volt RCA outputs for maximum amp performance
- Lights are extremely light and not dimmable
- 1/2-DIN chassis graphic equalizer with built-in low-pass filter6-channel/ 8-Volt RCA outputs (front, rear and subwoofer)7-ban graphic equalizer (50Hz, 125Hz, 315Hz, 750Hz, 2.2Khz, 6Khz, 16Khz)
- 3.5mm Front aux input2-channel RCA aux input with variable gain adjustments and high level speaker inputs
- Blue illumination independent master volume and subwoofer level Control with fader control select able 12Db low-pass Filer (60Hz or 90Hz)
- Ground loop isolation circuit Dimensions: 7"(w)x4-1/4"(l)x1"(h)
Best Performance 6 Channel Amp: JL Audio XD800/8v2 XD Series
We should also not forget about JL Audio XD800/8v2 XD Series. Compared to all 6-channel amps in this list, this one is 8-channel. This compact amplifier plays your music with impressive impact and true fidelity without straining the electrical system of the car. An advanced cooling system and a cast alloy heatsink keep this amplifier at optimal temperature, getting rid of thermal shut-down, so your music keeps going strong without any interruption.
This car amp is relatively not popular among car owners, given the small number of ratings we found on Amazon. Still, we’re shocked at how many of its users are extremely fascinated about its performance. You can set it up for just about any system. You will never outgrow it, no matter how your existing audio plans may change.
- Provide seventy-five watts RMS per channel to four pairs of speakers
- Eight-channel car amplifiers
- Class D amplifier design with NextD switching amp technology
- A bit pricey
- 4 ohms: 70 watts x 8 chan. 2 ohms: 100 watts x 4 chan.
- Heavy duty aluminum alloy heat-sink OR high-density split-dome convection heat-sink for extreme heat dissipation
- Dimensions: 14-3/4"W x 7-1/4"L x 2-1/4"H
Best Upgrade 6 Channel Amp for Sony XM-GS6DSP GS Series
Mounted to a display board or sitting on a table, many car audio amplifiers seem about the same. However, Sony has designed something different with its Sony XM-GS6DSP GS Series amplifier. Features such as 3-way electronic crossovers, digital signal processing, and Bluetooth audio streaming make this a great solution for any car audio enthusiasts out there.
The connection side of the amp has a pair of twelve position Molex connections for the speaker-level and line-level inputs. Further, an 8-position Molex connector manages the speaker outputs for the four main channels. Every speaker connection follows the ISO 10487 standard with pairs of violet, green, and grey wires.
One of the best benefits of this 6-channel amp is its Bluetooth wireless connection, allowing you to play music directly to the amplifier. That is a wonderful feature to have, especially if your receiver does not have any Bluetooth.
- Bluetooth audio streaming
- Flexible 3-way electronic crossover
- Small chassis
- More range on the tweeter or front high pass filter
- Class-d amplification technology for high power
- DSP with 4.1-Channel time alignment
- Customized sound with app control
- Low and high Pass filters for accurate sound
Features to Consider for the Best 6 Channel Amp
Below are the important things you need to consider when selecting your 6-channel car amplifier.
It refers to the electronic circuit used to offer power to a single speaker in the sound system of the car. Take note that car amplifiers featuring numerous channels are suitable for powering up numerous speaker units.
The crucial question you should ask yourself is the ideal number of channels perfect for your car’s sound system. Amplifiers are provided in different configurations. Further, the number of channels will vary on the number of speakers linked to your sound system.
That only indicates that every speaker you need to amplify needs its own channel. Are you planning to include a subwoofer to an already existing system? Then a single amp could get the job done for you.
You can also configure other car camps along with multiple channels for particular uses. For instance, mono amplifiers along with Class D rating are created to eat less power and produce less heat when amplifying your woofers.
Are you planning to create a car audio system from scratch? You don’t have any other choice than to purchase a head unit together with preamp outputs along with an amplifier that features line-live inputs.
Setting up an unamplified signal to the amp offers you a clear and crisp sound. Nonetheless, many of the pre-installed factory head units and other aftermarket units do not come along with preamp outputs for connecting to an external amplifier.
If your current head unit falls within that category, then you need to opt for an amplifier with speaker-level units. That can also reproduce greater sounds than the one you would get minus the external amplifier.
Don’t compromise on power when choosing your 6-channel car amp units. It’s essential that you do not under-power the car’s sound system speakers. Many people are more likely to make the mistake of buying the amp first before purchasing the speakers.
It will help if you choose the speaker first and identify the ideal amp suitable to power them. Are you working with pre-installed factory speaker units? You need to identify the RMS value and then pick an amplifier that can provide a minimum of between 75% to 150% of the RMS figure.
What’s more, power is essential if you wish to work off the same amplifier you’re using to power the speakers. It may be a huge deal to bridge six channels so as to offer enough power needed for operating a sub. However, it is not always great for every situation.
If the amp can’t match the needed subwoofer power, then you may like to consider opting for another mono amplifier that can get the job done smoothly.
You don’t need to be smart to install your car amp unit. It is not a challenging task as you may have initially assumed. All you must do is find the best locations to fix the amp and the ideal way to route the wires.
When looking for a car amp unit, make sure you identify the perfect location for fixing the hardware and routing the wires at the same time. Many cars normally do not come with pre-installed amplifiers from the company. Thus, you may be obliged to find a place in your car to fit the amp.
With that in mind, make sure you take the needed measurements before you plan to purchase a car amp. Some of the most typical areas to install an amp include in the car’s trunk, under a seat, or over the passenger’s side firewall. Ensure that you also check the needed measurements for such spaces before you proceed with buying the amp unit.
Did you know that amplifiers are grouped into different classes based on their electrical circuit? It’s important as it determines energy efficiency, sound fidelity, and heat generation. Amps are often rated as A, B, AB, and of course, D.
The A-class amps offer excellent sound quality but are not the often suggested choice because of a large number of wasted energy and high heat production. Class B amps do much better compared to Class A amps when it comes to being efficient.
Nonetheless, the crossover distortion caused by the transistors switching off and on is a big disadvantage. Thus, they aren’t the most preferred.
Class A/B amps are by far the most typical and sought choice. They are class B and class A amps combined minus their corresponding drawbacks, namely crossover distortion and low energy efficiency.
Finally, Class D amps are the best in their group. They provide over ninety percent of operational efficiency. Less heat is produced with less energy consumed. Lower weight and small size are plus points on this class of amplifiers and are suggested for lower frequency applications.
As you can tell by now, it’s challenging to suggest a single product, as the ideal amplifier depends on the needs of your stereo. We do suggest sticking to reliable brands that provide a warranty. Unless you’re on a budget, often, it’s better to spend the extra money on a quality product from a brand that will handle any issues that may arise.
Just keep in mind that amplifiers are electronics, and others will run hot based on how they’re installed. Always consult with an expert if you’re not confident wiring and installing the amplifier to your car.