We have had a ton of requests to start including 10 inch subwoofers in our reviews. We have done a few. But we feel we have left out some of the best 10 inch subwoofers and brands, and well and we would like to redeem that.
10-inch woofers are another very common size especially in compact vehicles. They’re usually fairly easy to install given that they can be placed in an enclosure with minor modifications.
Or they can be placed in some other places (underneath a seat for example) without taking too much cargo or passenger space.
Thanks to their compact size and simple installation process, 10 inch subs can be used in a wide variety of applications and vehicles with a limited amount of space to work with.
These subwoofers offer a decent bass response and clarity. They also deliver a bit more extra bass when compared to 8-inch subwoofers. These subs are best suited to drivers who mostly listen to a lot of rock, country and non-heavy bass tunes.
The most important thing about the following car subwoofers that we are going to review is that you must power them with an amplifier in order to take full advantage of them.
The Best 10 Inch Subwoofer Reviews
Rockford Fosgate has been stepping up on their subwoofers the past few years. The quality of their subwoofers in particular are top notch.
It’s one of the main reason the R2D4-10 model is at the top of the list. Not only this but Amazon has designated as their top choice for 10 inch subwoofers.
The woofer is made up of a mica-injected polypropylene cone and surrounded with poly-foam. This is then stamped-cast with stainless steel utilizing their spider venting to keep this puppy cool.
(You don’t typically see this only lower priced models!)
Another nice feature about Rockford Fosgate subwoofers is that they use anodized aluminum voice coil formers to help dissipate heat more effectively.
- Produces deep bass
- Excellent build and durability
- Easy installation process
- Screws are not included
- The bass could have been a little better
- The Prime R2D4-10 is a 10" subwoofer, designed for car audio fanatics wanting big bass they can rely on
- This 10” subwoofer handles 250 Watts RMS / 500 Watts Max and the 4-Ohm Dual Voice Coil design lets you to wire them in various configurations
- The R2D4-10 10” subwoofer is optimized for sealed or vented enclosures and has a mounting depth of 4.319” and require a cutout diameter of 9.125”
- Featuring mica injected polypropylene cone and stamp cast basket with integrated spider venting for deep bass and a cool motor, dual 12 AWG compression terminals, and an integrated PVC trim ring
- Famous Rockford Fosgate build quality with a full 1-year warranty when purchased from an authorized Rockford Fosgate reseller
We’re going to ask you to trust us on this one. A lot of reviews out there say to not go cheap on your sub. However, we think this one is very reasonably priced.
Infinity makes a great, well-rounded collection of audio equipment, including subwoofers, speakers , and amplifiers. Infinity is an American company that has been specializing in all sorts of audio equipment since 1968.
They have mastered the art of providing high quality products that are built to last.
The Infinity Ref1000S is no exception. It is a solid sub for a great price.
It features a high-gloss polypropylene cone that’s accurate and hard-hitting. Infinity also used a large roll foam surround for precise linear movement of the cone and for optimum performance and durability.
Additionally, its dual 4-ohm voice coils give you a lot more flexibility in terms of wiring, and it will make your sound system easy to expand if you decide to go that way down the road.
- Excellent sound quality even at high volume
- Includes a selector switch for either 2 ohms or 4 ohm
- Slim design fits all 10 inches perfectly
- Very Durable
- RMS is a bit lacking
- Bass could have been deeper
- Peak: 800 watts | RMS: 200 watts
- Overall diameter: 10. 55"
- Cutout diameter: 9. 50" top-mount depth: 3. 27"
- Connectivity Technology: Auxilliary
- Included Components: A Sub Woofer With Standard Accessories
The Alpine SWS-10D4 is one of the most expensive 10″ subwoofer out there, and the most expensive that we are going to review. However, when you pick one of these up, you’ll know where the extra money went.
With Alpine’s type-S subwoofers you’ll hear and feel satisfying bass.
The sub linked to above can handle an astounding 1000 watts of RMS power (500 watts per coil), which is actually enormous.
Furthermore, its dual oversized 4-ohm voice coils give you the wiring flexibility you’ll need to build a dynamic sound system that can be easily extended by additional components (subs, amps, headunits…).
This subwoofer works well in both sealed and ported enclosures, so you can choose whatever works best for your application.
(Make sure you choose a powerful amplifier as this big-bass monster requires lots of power.)
- 1000 watts RMS
- Impressive bass
- Dual 4-ohm voice coils
- Flexible mounting options
- A little on the pricy end
- May produce occasional airy sound
- 1000W Peak
- 500W RMS
- Dual 4-Ohm Voice Coil
- Kevlar Reinforced Cone
- Hamr Surround Performance
They have high-quality products for more than a reasonable price, and this subwoofer is no exception. It’s a great sub for people on a tight budget.
Pioneer is one of the most well-recognized brands in this industry, given the fact that they provide high quality products that meet customer’s demand efficiently.
The most impressive part of this component subwoofer is its 1200-watt dynamic peak power rating.
While it’s not recommended to push it to this level, you’ll be impressed with the immense power it’s capable of handling.
It truly offers extremely low frequency reproduction, one of the lowest we’ve reviewed, in fact.
This is truly a subwoofer devoted to bass. It does effectively dip into the subsonic frequencies that some other car subwoofers can’t reach.
Although this sub’s power handling is above average, we found that it tends to distort relatively quickly as the power supplied to the sub increases, which is slightly disappointing.
- Superior Durability
- Crisp sound on both low and high frequencies
- Great overall bass
- Made in China
- Single voice coil
- Max. Music Power (Nominal) 1,200W (350W)
- Cone Composition IMPP Composite Cone
- Surround Composition Dual Layer Fiber Reinforced Elastic Polymer Surround
I figured we would include this monster of a sub in our lineup of the best 10 inch subwoofers.
This MTX enclosure machine is literally huge and robust, meaning many drivers and audio enthusiasts use this unit and swear by it!
After all, if you’re seeking big bass and you have enough space inside your vehicle to accommodate this enclosure, you can’t just simply skip on this.
The elephant in the room is obviously its massive size. However, they make up for it by making it more compact and fully self-contained package and a sleek black.
MTX Magnum MB210SP is a complete amplified bass package that bundles 2 x 10 subwoofers in an enclosure AND an 800 Watt mono block amplifier.
And that’s what we like most about this enclosure. It’s a simple and easy way to add bass to any vehicle system.
One major drawback of this model is it’s price. At the same time, the fact that you get two 10 inch woofers along with a built in amp, it’s completely worth it.
- Includes 2, 10-inch speakers
- Built-in amp
- Decent sound quality
- The overall sound is a bit lacking
- Amp quality could have been better
- Large roll surround
- Tuned for high output
- Durable 5/8" MDF construction
- Aviation grade carpet
- Heavy duty wiring terminals
What list of the best 10 inch subwoofers wouldn’t be complete without a contender from JL? This one happens to be a top choice on Amazon as well as the Rockford Fosgate R2D4-10.
With this woofer you’ll get JL’s patented cooling design with their Elevated Frame. With this design you’ll get better power handling and a much more reliable audio component.
As this is strictly the subwoofer, you’ll need to get an enclosure or box to hold the sub in place. Also, it goes without saying, but you need an amplifier to get the best sound quality out of this 10WOV3-4.
- Power Handling: Peak 600 Watts, RMS 300 Watts
- Impedance: 4 ohms
- Sensitivity: 84 dB
- Great overall sound quality
- Sleek design and nice look
- Easy installation
- Installation hardware is not included
- Enclosure is not included
- 10W0V3-4 - JL Audio 10" Single 4-Ohm W0V3 Series Subwoofer
- Power Handling: Peak: 600 watts | RMS: 300 watts
- Mineral-filled, polypropylene cone woofer for excellent durability
- Large roll surround for generous amounts of excursion
- Elevated frame cooling brings air directly to the voice coil
Next is a sub that is specially designed to fit and work perfectly in tight enclosures. And, being a shallow mount sub, it doesn’t compromise on its performance.
The Sundown Audio SD-3 10 D4 is designed for top performance. It features an under-hung low motor topology, soft suspension, and a huge faraday ring made from aluminum.
Additionally, it has a peak of 500 watts and a 2.5 inch, 8 – layer copper voice coil wire for the top notch dissipation of heat.
What’s more, this sub produces excellent sound quality for all types of music. It picks low, middles, and high frequencies perfectly to give amazing sound.
And if you are looking for a bass that will wake the neighbors up, this is a great choice. Its bass matches that of most 12 inch speakers.
Just like in any subwoofer, they are a few specifications you need to strictly adhere to for optimal performance. Ensure it is in the right enclosure and an appropriate amp.
And with an inverted rubber surround, it is perfect for anyone search for a compact sub to fit in shallow and tight enclosures.
- Works perfectly even in tight enclosures
- Amazing sound quality
- Shallow mount speaker
- You may experience occasional distortion
- Frequency the range could have been better
- The SD-3 series truly is a world-class sound quality woofer with low mounting depth, small box requirements, and a reasonable price.
- Xmax = 14.5mm one-way by 70% BL | RMS Power = 500-watts (300-watts for the 8” model) | Under-Hung low distortion motor topology | Solid pole piece with chamfered edges
- Black Aluminum 2.5” voice coil former for superior heat dissipation | High Temperature 8-Layer copper voice coil wire | Large aluminum faraday ring (Magnet ID) | Spring Loaded Terminals
- Stitched-On Tinsel Lead Wires | Optimized for small sealed enclosures | Inverted Rubber Surround to reduce front-mount depth | High strength cast aluminum frames
JL is famous for making great stereos with extemporary sound quality. And, this one too doesn’t disappoint. It produces clean and crisp sound and its punch on the bass is impressive.
The bass in deep and rich and is guaranteed to keep even the neighbors entertained.
And, just like the Sundown sub reviewed above, this one too is ideal for use in small sealed enclosures. Its mounting depth is merely 6.89 inches. It is compact enough to fit in most cars.
You’ll only need to get professional help and custom-make an enclosure that is ideal for your sub.
The JL Audio 10W6v3-D4 sub is also capable of handling decently high power as it has a 600 Watts peak RMS. On top of that, it has two 4 ohm voice coils that give you flexibility in the wiring.
For the best performance, this subwoofer is best used with an amp rated 200 to 600 watts. Also, ensure you get an amp that matches this rating for an amazing listening experience.
- Perfect for small enclosures
- Dual 4 ohm voice coils
- No distortion
- Not an SPL sub
- RMS could have been higher
If you are looking for a slim yet sleek car sub, then the Rockville RW10CA is worth considering.
The sub measures only 12.4 x 13.4 x 2.7 (L x W X H) Inches. Its slim size allows it to fit anywhere in most vehicles.
On top of that, it is an all-inclusive stereo that comes with an amp, speaker, and enclosure. And, it has an RMS rating of 200 watts with a power peak of 800 watts and 2-ohm impedance.
What’s more, it has a thermal protection circuit and an overload protection circuit. The overload protection circuit has a phase switch of 0 degrees or 180 degrees.
However, the bass on this sub is a little disappointing. But it is not such a big deal considering all the features you are getting at such an affordable price. Also included are a bass booster and a remote for bass control which works perfectly.
If you are all about the bass, then you may need to consider some of the other bass-oriented subs we’ve reviewed above.
- Compact and very slim
- Comes with an enclosure and amp
- Decent sound quality
- Easy installation
- Bass is lacking some umph!
- Not very reliable
- Rockville RW10CA 800 Watt 10" Slim Car Subwoofer.
- 800 Watts Peak / 200 Watts RMS. PWM MOSFET Power Supply.
- Low Level RCA Input. High Level Inputs with Auto Turn-On Technology.
- Adjustable Input Sensitivity. Soft Delayed Remote Turn-On.
- Thermal Protection Circuit, Short Protection Circuit.
To wrap up this list of the 10 top 10 inch subwoofers is the kicker 10C104 sub. And, since it is number 10 on our list doesn’t mean its performance is any less.
If you are looking for a sub with a punch, then this sub will not let you down. This sub makes even the most boring tunes pleasant to the eardrums. It produces a sound that is clear and loud, but not the irritating kind of loud.
Another feature I like about this feature is its durability. It has a super-rigid, well made, an injection-molded cone that has a 360 degree bracing to withstand the punches from the bass.
And the spiralead tinsel-lead tech ensures your sub lasts you long enough. There is also a vented pole piece and a high-temperature coil wire to allow heat dissipation.
That’s not all. The Kicker 10C104 has a kicker look too. It has a double-stitched yellow surround and a well-made steel basket which makes your sub accentuate any car space.
Things to Look For with 10 Inch Subwoofers
There is a few things that you need to look for when comparing different models of subwoofers.
I’ve outlined the basic ones below to help you make a better purchasing decision.
1. Power Handling
With Power handling, you’ll be looking at two different numbers.
Peak Power and RMS Power. (These numbers are denoted in watts)
Please don’t rely on the peak power number as something to expect to get out of your subwoofer.
This is strictly the number given by manufacturers indicating the MAX amount of power the woofer can handle.
Generally speaking, you want your subwoofer to be able to handle more power.
The sensitivity of a subwoofer or speaker is shown in dB(decibels). This number indicates how effectively the subwoofer converts power (watts) into volume (decibels).
A woofer that has a higher sensitivity rating will require less power from an amplifier to produce sound than it would from a lesser sensitive sub.
3. Number of Voice Coils
A lot of subwoofers come with only a single voice coil. If you’re looking to get more flexibility in wiring your components then getting a
dual voice coil (DVC) would be a better route.
There’s nothing wrong with a single voice coil. It makes installation much easier but as I said you are limited to how you can wire up your system.
Disclaimer on Our Best 10 inch Subwoofers
This is not by any means a list of all the greatest 10 inch subwoofers available out there. There are hundreds of amazing, high quality 10″ subwoofers on the market. Simply too many to possibly cover in a fairly short article.
However, we did want to give you a few good options from well-known brands to start with.
These subs represent different price points, performance, and specifications. Our goal here is to find you something that meets your needs and works for your application. If you feel we missed a sub you love, feel free to let us know in the comments below.