In today’s world, where technical devices are ubiquitous, plenty of devices need more than a USB port for charging. Power inverters are easy for converting the car’s electric DC into AC electric power. The conversion of DC to AC helps in charging a wide range of appliances and devices.
The cars have pre-installed USB ports for charging your and the passenger’s mobile devices. While USBs come in handy in most cars, but they are not compatible with high-power devices.
Now, it is obvious that you won’t be charging a fridge in your car, but the power inverter makes it easier to plug and charge a laptop, hairdryer, or even a coffee maker. It makes the road journey smooth and hassle-free.
Shopping for a power inverter for a car may seem like a straightforward task, but it isn’t. You will find power inverters plugged into the cigarette port or a 12v accessory socket in the market. There are, however, many power inverters that can be installed in the car’s battery or fuse panel.
Below are the top power inverter recommendations that are currently trending in the market. We have detailed each product with pros and cons, so you find it useful to choose the right one.
Best Power Inverters: Our Top Picks
#1 Best Overall Power Invertor: KRIEGER Inverter
Krieger Inverter stands on the top of the list with power 4000 w continuous power to 8000W peak power. Whether you are camping or traveling for the weekend, there is no doubt you want the devices powered and ready to use. So, pick the Krieger inverter; it is a heavy-duty portable inverter.
Krieger is one of the best in the modified sine wave inverters available in the market. The modified sine wave is preferred over the pure sine wave due to the power to produce clean and run the electrical devices smoothly.
Krieger comes with an installation kit that includes 3ft two-gauge AWG battery cables, an in-line ANL fuse kit, a handy remote switch with a 20ft cable. You can also manage it from the rear seat. In addition, it has a user manual that helps you understand the mechanics of the power inverter and the installation procedure.
Kriger is not only known for its power, but it comes with safety features. The LED red light indicates a voltage drop below 10VDC. In addition, it has a low voltage alarm and overvoltage shutdown.
These indicators help in overload, temperature, and short circuit protection. In addition, Kriger comes with 3 yrs manufacturing warranty from the service provider.
With all the features and benefits mentioned, let’s move forward to its pros and cons.
- It has dual USB ports, and the ports are compatible with iPads, laptops, and cellphone.
- It has ultra-silent fans that make this inverter a quiet one.
- The LED display indicator keeps you updated about the status of the inverter.
- It has fewer AC outlets as compared to other power inverters.
- It is not recommended for long-term use, and it can cause wear and tear to the appliances.
- 1100 watts continuous power, 2200 watts peak power, KR1100 Modified Sine Wave Car Inverter converts 12V DC to 120V AC Power, Connect DC battery cables directly to your vehicles battery and you have power on the go
- Our version of an all-inclusive! Wired Remote control included - ANL Fuse kit + 3 ft Battery Cables Included
- We have your back – This inverter has all the protections that you will need, Overload, Temperature, short circuit and all of these protections are displayed on the LCD, the LCD Display also shows you the Input Voltage, Output Wattage and Battery Level
- Don’t just take our word for this inverter’s rating, this item has been tested, validated and approved by METLAB for both its safety and performance. MET Approved under UL std 458 and CSA std C22.2
- You can’t go wrong with Krieger! We believe in our product and quality and we offer the warranty that proves it – “3 Years parts and labor warranty”
#2 Best For Heavy Duty: Energizer Power Inverters
Energizer 1100 W power inverter is known for being heavy-duty. It provides 1100 W continuous power, and it peaks up to 2200 w power.
Energizer has modified sine wave-like, Krieger. The modified sine wave is connected directly to a 12V DC battery to power the appliances smoothly. In addition, it has an LED screen that indicates overload, temperature, and voltage fluctuation.
This inverter’s significant advantage is its surge capacity of 4000w that can kick-start appliances like a micro-oven.
It is equipped with thermal fans that cool down the inverter and make it a silent one.
It has a port that easily connects to the remote panel accessory, giving you the control from 25ft far.
You can control the on and off button from the remote without even moving an inch which isn’t present in Krieger.
- It comes with an installation kit that includes an ANL fuse kit and a remote-control switch.
- It has standard two North American AC outlets. It allows you to charge any modern compatible device.
- It is not compatible with small devices.
- It is expensive.
- Energizer Power Inverter - 1100 watts continuous power, 2200 watts peak power. Modified Sine Wave Car Inverter converts 12V DC to 120V AC Power
- Perfect for an emergency, hurricane, storm or power outage - Features 2 USB ports (2.4Amps each), 2 standard North American AC outlets (each rated at 15Amps). Free 3FT 4AWG battery cables included.
- The brand name you can trust - This inverter has all the protections that you will need. Overload, over voltage, under voltage, high temperature and short circuit. All of these protections are displayed on the LCD screen, as well as input voltage, output wattage and battery level.
- Engineered to perform - Our heavy-duty ENK1100 energizer power inverter connects directly to a 12-volt DC battery to power televisions, fans, work lights, hand held tools, blenders and much more
- 2 years warranty - We believe in our product and quality, that's why we offer the warranty that proves it. This inverter has been tested, certified and approved by METLab under UL standard 458 and CSA for both its safety and performance.
#3 Cheapest Power Inverter: Superone 150W Power Inverter
Superone 150 W power inverter is the cheapest. The design is light and portable. It can be installed in the cigarette plug-in.
It offers 150 W of continuous power and 180 W of instantaneous power. This is ideal for small devices like mobile, laptop, and DVD players. In addition, the small and portable design allows you to charge any appliance on the drive.
The design is much smaller than other products listed in the article. In addition, it does not have an LCD screen display that displays temperature or voltage fluctuation.
You will find a USB port in it along with two socket spitters. It has a 5-in-one design and is perfect for charging while traveling.
Like any power inverter, it has a thermal fan that kicks in when the temperature rises above 100 degrees Fahrenheit.
It has an on-off switch that controls the AC outlet to the appliance. It comes with an 18month guarantee which is lesser than Energizer and Krieger.
- Compact and lightweight design fits in the cupholder of the car.
- One AC outlet and 2 USB ports.
- Smart cooing fan.
- Low power output.
- It can’t be used for heavy appliances.
- Premium car inverter provides 150 Watts continuous DC to AC power and 180 Watts instantaneous power, excellent for charging ipad, laptop, breast pump, string lights, game console, kindle, TV, DVD players and other electronic devices.
- Featuring 1 powerful AC outlet, 2 fast USB ports and 2-socket cigarette lighter splitter. 5-in-1 Design perfectly for charging daily AC products, phone devices and automotive appliances. Most 12V cars only support 150W MAX output, so there is no need to use a inverter over 150W in your car.
- Smooth and shiny plastic surface with streamlined appearance. Made with the most superior PTFE (King of Plastics). Cup holder design makes your car much neater. Space Saving and No Shaking.
- Smart Cooling Fan will be on automatically when the inverter internal temp. reaches to 100 ℉/38℃ and runs ultra quiet.
- Safe Usage with All-Round Protections: 18-Month money back or new replacements. Stable plug with built-in replaceable 15A fuse and protective circuits against overheating, overcharging, and short-circuit to safeguard your precious appliances. (Applied for a 12V car but not 24V)
#4 Best For Lighter Electric Appliance: Bestek 500w Power Inverter
If you are shopping for affordable and don’t need enough power, Bestek is the right recommendation. With over 3000 customer reviews and ratings, Bestek 500w is one of the reputed power inverter brands available in the market.
The design of the inverter is compact and can easily fit in the glove box when not in use. It provides 500w of continuous power DC to AC power and 1000w of peak power. Compared to Krieger and Energizer, it is a lot less, but the inverter takes less power to run with this compact design.
It has 2 USB ports like the Super one power inverter, and it can be plugged in the cigarette port through a 24-inch cable.
When it comes to safety, the power inverter matches the mark with Krieger and Energizer. The product has overheating, voltage charging, and short-circuit protection features.
Take it along on your camping trips as the power inverter has a 12V DC outlet for smooth charging of appliances.
- Convenient to use and carry.
- Built-in protection features.
- Compact design.
- Silent charging without noise.
- Not powerful enough to kickstart a micro-oven or fan.
- If connected to the vehicle’s cigarette port, it provides only 150W power.
- BESTEK power inverter: America's #1 power inverter brand. Provides 500W continuous DC to AC power and 1000 watts of peak power, featuring 2 AC outlets and 2 USB quick charging ports.
- Powerful charging: Dual 110V AC outlets for powering larger devices such as laptops and tablets or any other household appliances under 500 watts, 2 smart USB ports (0-2.4A) for charging USB-powered devices. A good choice for camping,out door needs or driving trip on the way.
- Multi-Protection: Built-in 2*40 amps fuse to protect your device and battery. Safe charging technology provides protection against overheating, under/over voltage charging,overload and short circuiting.
- Quiet cooling fan: The smart cooling fan will automatically rotate at different speed according to power load and temperature, this design can help to lower the fan noise.Also the high speed cooling fan protect the inverter against overheating.
- More you get: Comes with a car cigarette lighter plug (27.5 inches) and a pair of alligator battery clamps (24 inches),convenient for plugging into your cigarette lighter or hook it to 12V battery,2 pcs of spare 40A Fuses.18-months warranty and friendly 24H/7D service.
#5 Best Built-design: Bestek 200W Power Inverter
Another from Bestek that makes to the list is Bestek 200W power inverter. The power inverter takes the crown on built design with 4 USB ports and 3 AC outlets.
Like another power inverter, it provides a 12V DC power outlet for charging devices like laptops, cell phones, and coffee makers.
The design is compact and lightweight with multi-safety protection features. It has 200W of continuous power and 500w peak power.
The device can fit in the cigarette lighter receptacle and has a 2.5-inch cable so you can operate it from the rear passenger seat if needed.
The four USB port allows you to charge multiple devices at a single time.
- Plenty of ports and outlets.
- Built-in safety features.
- Compact design.
- Low power output from the outlets.
- It does not have a display to check voltage fluctuation.
- BESTEK Advantage: America's #1 power inverter brand. Provides 200 watts continuous DC to AC power and 500 watts peak output power to charge your multiple electronic devices on the go
- DC to AC Converter: 3 AC outlets and 4.2A 4 USB charging ports ideal for powering 7 devices simultaneously, great for charging smartphones, laptop, tablets, GPS units, TV, battery chargers, camping equipment and mobile office equipment
- 2.5-foot cigarette lighter plug convenient for backseat use. Ultra compact design perfect for you to use inverter on the road,campsites or anywhere that power is needed
- Multi Protection: Built-in fuse and cooling fan protection. This power inverter has low battery alarm, low battery shutdown, overload protection, short circuit protection
- What You Get: [ETL Listed]BESTEK 200W Power Inverter, User Manual, Our 18-month warranty and friendly customer service
Features To Look Out for Power Generator
Buying a power generator that has all the benefactors you want needs a checklist. For example, power inverters convert direct current to alternating current or AC power. But what should you look for before buying a power inverter?
What factors are deciding factors while buying an inverter? Here is the answer for you with a breakdown of each point in a detailed form.
Before buying any power inverter, you must check for the wattage it can supply. Depending on the wattage, it can take the load of the appliance.
Low wattage battery tends to be smaller, lighter, and cheaper. These inverters are plugged into the cigarette lighter receptacle, and it does not take electricity from house batteries.
The low wattage can charge the phone or laptop on the go. It generally has 2 USB ports, although Bestek 200W power inverter is exceptional with 4 USB ports.
High wattage can provide enough power to run a toaster, vacuum cleaner, micro-oven, and charge the devices like laptops and cell phones. Choose the inverter depending upon the standard power need. Put 15-20% margin on standard power load.
For instance, a coffee maker requires 300w, a laptop 100W, and a phone 25W. If you add up, it becomes 425 W, which means you should buy a power inverter with a 500W power supply.
#2 Safety Features
You shouldn’t proceed to buy a power inverter without comparing the safety norms and features. The inverter should allow you to monitor voltage fluctuation, and it is a plus point to know the voltage before connecting the device.
Knowing about voltage protection, overheating, and short-circuit protection helps you narrow down the inverter with safety features.
The products listed above have these protection features making them suitable for your car. Make sure the power inverters have a thermal cooling fan to balance overheating of the inverter.
While traveling, who wants a heavy inverter onboard? It is efficient to use if the size is compact and lightweight. In-car, there are only a few places to keep the power inverter, considering the plug-in inverters.
A smaller unit means you don’t need to brainstorm too much on finding a place to keep the power inverter. The Super one and Bestek are popular for compact and lightweight sizes. It fits in easily anywhere in the car. If you like traveling for weekend trips, then you can purchase this for charging batteries on the go.
#4 Power Storage Capacity
Power inverters have great storage capacity, and they can store up power and deliver at a steady pace to the connected devices. While buying the power inverter, check the continuous power supply and peak power of the inverter.
For instance, Krieger is a heavy-duty inverter with a 4000W continuous power supply to 8000w peak power. Some inverters can provide peak power in few minutes like Energizer can peak the power in a couple of minutes.
The more power it generates, the higher appliance you can connect. For instance, if you are traveling into the woods with an RV, Krieger is the best.
#5 Power Quality
Power quality is the stability of the power in the voltage and harmonics. The power supply has a harsh wave through its AC power. This causes excessive jerking and buzzing sound in the inverter.
The products mentioned in the article do not jerk and do not produce a buzzing sound. It maintains the power and so the circuit in the control board does not burns out.
In the age of modern technology, gadgets and appliances are companions of the trip. As a result, several companies are in the market delivering the product that fits user’s requirements.
The Krieger is the best for heavy-duty charging. The big size and 4000w battery ensure you can live off-the-road for a while. It lets you charge appliances, and it can power a micro-oven, toaster, iron, and hairdryer.
The brands have been in the market for a long time, and these have excelled in the past and thrives on getting better in the future.
Brands like Bestek, the number one company in America, and Energizer, one of the oldest power inverter companies, are leading the market.
The best products are listed in this article, so you can select the one that fits your need.